/* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; }

Monday, August 15, 2005

Timwatch 8/14

Meet the Press without Tim just isn't the same. In fact, it sucks ass. His sub was some woman (Andrea Mitchell) who had that awful Barbara Walters-type inflection. Ugh. The first guest was our ambassador to Iraq being optimistic (no, really - the insurgents are losing!) and then was Joe Biden. Now, we all know I like Joe Biden. But he's already said he's running in 2008 and while there is no doubt I'd vote for him I actually think the man has a smaller chance of getting elected than Hillary. I mean, he's from Delaware. I'd forget it was a state if it wasn't 20 minutes away with cheap booze outlets and I'm guessing most Americans, not being the beneficiaries of said booze, have no clue where it is. Second, the whole plagiarism thing. Third, he's had two aneuyurisms. Ouch. But hey, he's always great on Meet the Press! After Biden was the lamest roundtable ever, there were only two guests and one was this asshat Byron York of the National Review, who is like Tucker Carlson without the charm. Or the bowtie. The man's face just makes me want to spit, even before he opens his mouth.

So all in all a pretty craptacular Meet the Press. The one good thing I learned? Meet the Press Podcast! Now, it won't be as much fun as the show since you can't critique Tim's tie via podcast but it seems like a good deal for those times I sleep through it. Damn alcohol. Anyway, you can get it on the Meet the Press page here.

In life news, my life is lame. I went to a dinner party Thursday night where six of us drank 4 or 5 bottles of wine and had very very excellent food (salmon in puff pastry) made by Kathy's bf since they got back together. Again. And he decided to get off to a good start by making dinner for a bunch of science girls. I was impressed not only by the food but by the fact that he actually has dorkier tattoos than I do. I mean, a DNA armband pales in comparison to getting your name done in binary on the scale of dorktastic commitment. And I went to another West Philly party this weekend, but it was too hot to dance and I wasn't really drunk enough and there weren't really any boys of note. Though the scientist-to-normal-people ratio was refreshingly low.

The advisor is away again, which means two-hour lunches, Happy Hour, coming late, leaving early, and yet somehow managing to get far more done than I normally do. Sometimes I think that is she was away more I'd be a lot closer to finishing this damn degree. The program average has climbed to 6.5 years, which sounds like a really long time until you realize that many people had to take 7 or 8 to push the average that high. The thought of eight years of this is what wakes me up in the middle of the night shaking.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Retropolitan said...

You want hardcore tattoos? My old roommate Woody went to school for library science, and has the Library of Congress' decimal code for their library science section tattooed on his arm. AND binary code for his name on his other arm.

9:12 AM  
Blogger cara said...

This boy also has one of an abacus with the words "old school" beneath it.

And librarians are awesome.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

6.5 years on average to finish school and getting paid handsomely the whole time? Guess I should have gone neuro instead of my program which has about a 5 year average time.

A DNA tattoo...interesting or sad, I do not know which to pick.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, i'm a library nerd, but i don't think i get any cataloging related tats...but then again, i like picture tattoos, and i'm constantly tempted to get the x logo that john doe has done on my shoulder...alas, no money for mutilation, though.
tiff

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home