/* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; }

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Fork-in-the-Eye Bad

I spent 11 and a half hours in the lab yesterday and today doesn't look like it is going to be any better. First the electron microscope wasn't cooperating and by the time it was working again my day had officially been delayed by about three hours. Then there wasn't anything good on my grids anyway. My rats refused to go to sleep and I'm not one for doing perfusions with rats that are even the tiniest bit awake, so...more lost time. And then to crown my day, hours and hours of image analysis with NIH Image just to realize that I still have no data. I hate NIH Image, it doesn't even work on PCs so I have to use one of the lab macs and I really hate them, they crash all the damn time.

Of course, my computer won't turn on so it isn't like I could use it anyway. Fun fact: my abstract for the SBN meeting (which is in six days) is on that computer and apparently noplace else. This meeting hasn't published an abstract guide so I have no idea what it even said and I have no way to find out. Sort of makes putting together the poster tricky. Of course, as I have no data to put in the poster...you see where I'm going with this. I'm supposed to present at lab meeting in 40 minutes. I have nothing to say and am considering just breaking down in tears. I actually considered shoving those plastic forks from ABP into my eyes yesterday in the midst of the image analysis hell, but I realized that they probably weren't sterile and my advisor would come up with some way for me to do imaging with forks in my eyes anyway. Just adjust the microscope so the forks don't get in the way!

This will be the worst summer ever: the meeting next week, my advisor's RO1 deadline July 1, my advisor's NSF deadline July 10, my NRSA resubmission deadline August 5 and sometime in there I have to have a thesis committee meeting, except it is impossible to get all of us in the same room at the same time. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to do actual science with all the writing and editing I'm going to have to do for all of those grants, but of course my actual science is needed to give us a shot at actually being funded. Whoring yourself out for federal dollars is really a pain in the ass.

I should've gone to law school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home